Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Stupid Glucose

I failed my glucose tolerance screening/ diabetes screening at 28 weeks by two dumb points (a pass is 140 or below and I got a 142). That means I had to do the long three hour glucose tolerance test to be sure that I don't have gestational diabetes.  This shouldn't be shocking to me as when I was pregnant with Grayson I only passed that same screening by one point with a 139, but somehow I am shocked and sad about it.  I also shouldn't be shocked since I have possibly, just maybe been indulging in ice cream on a nightly basis as well, and yet I was. Shocked that is.
So today I took the three hour test. I had to fast for 12-14 hours before the test so I didn't have anything to eat this morning before I went in.  The lab tech took my blood when I arrived at the office and then I had to drink a whole lot of a very, very sweet drink. And then wait. And wait. And wait....for an hour until the lab tech came back to take my blood again.  Then I waited for another hour until the lab lady took another vial of blood and then waited another hour before she took the final blood sample.
My elbows are bandaged and I was one hungry, grumpy lady by the time the whole thing was over.  Then I went to get something to eat and all that food combined with all that time of not eating made for a really nauseated and shaky feeling- so I had to lie down and nap while Grayson napped for about an hour or two.  After that I felt much better and life seems to have resumed at its normal and hectic pace.
I am really hoping I passed this test- I really don't want a super sized baby, I don't want to end up diabetic later in life, I don't want a c-section delivery, I don't want to increase the risks of anything bad happening to me or baby B --- and Gestational Diabetes increases all of those risks.  So perhaps nightly ice cream should be done and daily walking should begin....perhaps.
Here's hoping I don't get a phone call from Cheri or a diabetic counselor anytime soon- which means I would be in the clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment